Thursday, November 29, 2012

Entry #2: Menudo with my grandma



History
Growing up I always loved when my grandma Norma would come into town to visit. She came every couple of months, just for a few days, and it was absolutely the best time. My grandma Norma always made delicious homemade Mexican food, which I love, and my all time favorite was menudo. It was our special bonding time with each other, just the family. It was always my sisters, mom, nephews, and grandparents. We would lounge around talking about our most recent activities, school, work, and so much more. I am close with my family because we have been doing this together for so long. It reminds me of the unconditional love we have for each other and the unbreakable bond we share that links us together. We are a family who are strong, faith driven, and determined, and loving.When I was younger I used to constantly ask my grandma Norma to teach me how to make Menudo and she would reply, "I want to teach all you girls at the same time like I learned". So this past Thanksgiving, November 22, 2012, my grandma Norma came into town from Corpus Christi loaded with all the spices, ingredients, pots and pans that we would need. We had a wonderful day spent in the kitchen and the final result was amazing. My grandma always says, "menudo is easy to make it just takes love and patience". Below is the recipe. Enjoy!


Menudo Recipe



Ingredients

  • 15 lbs of menudo
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 yellow onion
  • Menudo spice mix (fiesta brand)
  • Hominy (biggest can)
  • Cayenne pepper (optional) 
  • A tall/big soup pot

Directions:
  1. Cut menudo in little piece make sure to remove excess fat; Bring water to a boil about 2/3 full; make sure stove is on medium high(7/8); cook for 2 hours.
  2. Add the sliced garlic, small chopped onion, menudo mix (eye it depending on how spicy you like it); and Hominy.
  3. Add optional cayenne pepper; Let cook for 2 more hours; make sure to scrap excess spices off the wall of the pot.
  4. Serve and enjoy with corn tortillas, lemons/limes, onion, and cilantro!!
I had so much fun cooking with my grandma and family. The tradition has always been just talking and grandma taking care of all the food preparation but this time it was me doing everything. I enjoyed every moment of the time i shared with my grandma, I will always cherish the moment. I loved finally being taught to make it and being able to one day teach someone else in my family.

"Family is everything. Its the little moments that we will forever cherish"



3 comments:

  1. I loved your story, it touched me with my same memories of my Dad. By the way you reference the word menudo instead of tripe? LOL the gringo's might look for something called menudo in the stores, just an FYI> My Dad used pig's feet as well, it made a tasty broth and the meat would fall off the bone. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When shopping to make Menudo, you need to buy Tripe that is one of the main ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for cooler weather. I cook mine in a roaster outside.But the pig feet in my dad's recipe like yours add so much flavor.

    ReplyDelete